Giving Information

• Post category:Speaking

Topic: Personal Information

Mode: Interpersonal

Level: Novice

Students will take turns giving personal information to their classmates who will then ask follow-up questions.

Components of this activity: True/false activity 

Instructions to the teacher

• Give each students a copy of the worksheet. 
  • Tell the students that they are going to write personal information statements, some true and some false.
  • Working alone, the students must complete the 10 personal information questions on the worksheets. Five must be true and five must be false. They indicate by using a tick mark (/)  or a checkmark (X) for true and false in the table under “you”.
  • After this divide the class into groups of three or four. 
  • Tell the students not to show their worksheets to anyone else in their group.
  • The students write the name of the other students in the other columns in the worksheet.
  • Then they take turns reading the information on their sheets aloud. The others listen and ask questions to get more information. For example, if student A reads out, “In my free time I like to dance”, the other students can ask, “how many times a day/week do you dance?”
  • The other students decide if the statement is true or false based on student A’s responses to their questions and put a tick mark or checkmark for each statement.
  • After that, the student who reads his information says which is actually true or false. 
  • Students get one point for each correct guess.
  • In the end, they tally up all their scores and the one with the highest score wins.

Notes for the teacher

• This activity will require prerequisite knowledge on asking for personal information e.g. What is your name? Where do you live? What is your address? Where do you work/study? Which town do you live in? What is your phone number/ email address? Etc.
  • This unit can be taught with greetings and introduction and the activities can be modified and used in both.

True or False Activity Worksheet

1. Complete the personal information questions below. 5 must be true and 5 must be false. Indicate which is true and which is false by using a tick (/) for true  and a check (x) for false under the column “YOU”
Personal Information Questions     YOU Name of student 1 in your groupName of student 2 in your groupName of student 3 in your group
In my free time I like _____________________

I have ________ sisters (number)

I have ________ brothers (number)

My father’s name is ______________

I’m learning (this language) because ______________

My mother is _______ years old.

I own a  __________________

The biggest talent is _________________

My grandparents live in ____________________

My dream job is ___________________________

Total each student got correct

2. Write the name of the students in your group in the columns after “you”. After you read the information to them and they ask questions and decide if your statement is true or false, mark if each of them got it correct or wrong for each question. Then tally up the points to see who won.