Clothes for Traveling

• Post category:Speaking

Topic: Clothing

Mode: Interpersonal

Level: Novice

Students will discuss what clothes to pack when traveling to another country.

Component of this activity: A sample dialogue

Instructions to the teacher

1. Start the lesson by teaching your students expressions for asking questions, clothing vocabulary, travel vocabulary, etc.

2. Give them several destination options to choose from (e.g., Mexico, UK, China, Japan, etc.). Students can also choose their own destinations. 

3. Ask students to search for a 7-day weather forecast in the destination.

4. Ask students to note down the clothes that they want to bring. 

5. Use the dialogue below as an example, modeling to students how to ask questions. You can print it out and give each student a copy.

6. Pair students up and ask them to ask their partner what clothes he/she will pack for the trip and why.

Instructions to students

Think of a place you want to visit, search for a 7-day weather forecast of your destination and decide what clothes you will bring with you. Share this information with your partner and ask them what they will bring for the trip.

A Sample Dialogue

Rebecca: Laura, which country are you going to travel to next month for your vacation?

Laura: Thailand. I am so excited.

Rebecca: Great choice! What clothes are you going to pack for your trip?

Laura: Um. I checked the weather forecast. It’s pretty nice and sunny overall. I will bring three dresses, two pairs of pants, one pair of sneakers, and one pair of sandals. What else?

Rebecca: Do not forget sunglasses. 

Laura: Oh, yes, sunglasses. What about you Rebecca?

Rebecca: I am going to visit Italy for a conference this July. I will bring one suit, one pair of heels, two shirts, and one dress. 

Laura: And a pair of sneakers or flats?

Rebecca: Yep, I need to relax my feet. Nice suggestions. I hope you have a fun trip in Thailand.

Laura: You, too. Good luck with your conference.