When I was a Child

• Post category:Speaking

Skill: Speaking 

Topic: Childhood and Traditions 

Mode: Interpersonal 

Level: Intermediate 

Can-Do/Competency:  I can exchange information about favorite childhood games or pastimes in a live conversation  

Excerpt: Students record a Zoom call where they talk about their favorite childhood games 

Instructions to the teacher: Have students work in pairs and record a Zoom video call discussing their favorite childhood games or pastimes. Have the first student finish the following sentence: 
When I was a child my favorite game / pastime was…. 
Have her partner respond with a questions (e.g. ‘who did you typically play it with / why did you enjoy it so much / where did you stay?’) 

The students should talk for 1-2 minutes, then they should switch roles. The second person should finish the same initial question and the partner should respond with a question. They should talk for another 1-2 minutes.  

Instructions to students: 

You and a partner will record a Zoom video call discussing yourfavorite childhood games or pastimes. One of you will finish the following sentence: 
The other partner should respond with a question (e.g. ‘who did you typically play it with / why did you enjoy it so much / where did you stay?’) 

You should talk for 1-2 minutes then switch roles. The first person should finish the same initial question and the partner should respond with a question. They should talk for another 1-2 minutes.